In Nice, the Gambetta boulevard gives its name to the area located in the west of the city center. The Gambetta district is bordered on the north by the Chateauneuf street and the railway line, on the east by the Gambetta boulevard, on the south by the Promenade des Anglais and on the west by the Baumettes district. But the Gambetta boulevard continues, itself, until the Joseph Garnier boulevard where it changes name to become the Cessole boulevard.
The Gambetta district, as well as the boulevard of the same name, owes their name to Leon Gambetta, a French politician (1838/1882), important personage during the 3rd Republic.
The neighborhood has many architectural styles, from the Belle Epoque to modern, through beautiful art deco buildings. Walking on the boulevard, we cross the Italian Consulate, the Thiers avenue leading to the railway central station of Nice (built in 1865 by the PLM Company), the Franklin Square (on the border with the Musicians district), the pretty Alsace-Lorraine gardens (created in 1887 at the same time that the creation of the Gambetta and Victor Hugo boulevards).