The Californie Avenue is a long street in Nice parallel to the Promenade des Anglais. It begins in the district of Magnan, in extension of the Rue de France, and extends until the Rene Cassin boulevard, in the district of Ferber.
Originally, this rather agricultural and marshy sector went from Magnan to the small fishing village of Carras and bore the name of "Bari de Masson". Faced to the increase of the population and in order to gather the faithful of the campaign, the parish Saint-Helene was established there.
Until 1860, Carras was the last village of the County of Nice before the French border which was in the middle of the Var. The route of France crossed the west of Nice and took the name of California at the Belle Epoque.
The California district benefited from Nice's strong westward expansion after joining France. In the early twentieth century, there were small villas, olive groves on the hills, the racecourse of Nice and the California airfield.
It is today a very urbanized sector, crossed recently by the second line of the tramway that will soon connect the port of Nice to the international airport.